Some common questions about cable testing
* Cable is not a device; Cable will not produce sounds or make noises. Cables transmit sound only *
1. Why no difference in the sound of the cable?
We believe that Audiophiles should have the strong capability to distinguish the difference in quality of sound. Duelund Western Electric sounds and OCC Silver sounds are relatively unique sound, that could be easily identified. In theory, the sound should be different from the sound of your existing system. Therefore, audiophiles should be able to hear different in sound quality. Understand that the new cable may not match well with the sound of your existing systems, or you may not like the new sound, but it must have a different in sound. However, if you hear no difference in the sound for the new cable, then, most likely it is due to an unexpected “bottleneck” on one/some parts of your system (could be on equipment, cable, power supply, speakers, etc.) This is a “bottleneck” situation, meaning the ‘performance’ of that particular item/link has reached the sound limit/peak, so you will not be able to hear the sound difference whether it is a cheap cable or an expensive cable. Only if the “bottleneck” in that link is resolved, the sound of your system can reach to a higher level. If you want to keep status quo, then our cable is not suitable for your system.
Noted that new cables are generally need to burn-in to sound better. Believe that it needs at least 20-100 burn-in hours to sound reasonably good. Burn-in audio cable is an evitable process to get good sound for all audio cables.
[This is related to an unexpected bottleneck in the system]
2. Why do I hear noise/unpleasant sounds?
Please remember that “Cable is not a device, it will not produce sound.” A good cable will perfectly transmit the sound signal in the device, transparently from the front end to the speaker. When you hear a noisy/unpleasant sound, it is most likely that the audio source is not perfect, and the noise has been transmitted by a good cable. It is recommended to take some time to find out the root cause, or to examine your audio source. When your audio source is better, good cable will transmit the sound signal perfectly, and you will hear the perfect sound.
[This is related to quality of sound/audio source]
3. Why is the sound of my system unbalanced?
The sound of Duelund cable is relatively balanced and transparent, with many details. If your system is in an unbalanced situation, with Plus+ Plus+ Minus- Minus- then balance (+ + – – = 0). However, if you add a balance cable (0), take away the Plus “+”, then it will become Minus “-“. So, it is necessary to find out the root cause to have a perfect sound. In a balanced sound system, you will hear a very good sound.
[This is related to True Balance of whole sound system]
4. Why there is no “feeling” for this cable?
It takes a while for the new cable to burn-in for a better sound. Although it is still possible to fall in love at first sight, it is relatively easier to fall in love over time. Only by slowly testing, slowly matching, and slowly reconciling will there be a good sound. It is unlikely that all cables will sound at its best immediately when 1st plug in. There was an audiophile who determined the cable quality within a day (How?). It is definitely inaccurate to judge the cable quality within a day without system matching and without some burn-in process. Burn-in the audio cable is troublesome for audiophiles, however you can slowly experience the fun of burn-in the audio cable.
[This is related to matching of whole equipment/cables, need experience and handwork to achieve this]
5. Why different recordings have different effects? Good recording sound good, but bad recording sound very bad?
If the audio source or recording is good, a good cable will perfectly transmit the audio source signals to the speaker, then you will hear good sound. Conversely, if the audio source or recording is bad, a good cable will also transmit all the audio source signals (incl. bad signals) to the speaker, and the badly recorded signals will also appear in the sound, and you will hear bad sound. A good cable should be balanced and transparent. It should be sending all the signals existed from direct recording, without concealing signals, without adding extra signals and keeping all the signals there. This should be the characteristics of a good audiophile cable.
[This is not related to cables; good cables should perform like this]
6. Why can’t I hear the sound that I like?
Audiophiles are basically divided into two major categories:
1) Go for original sound only: Those who like the original sound of the original recording, those who like the true sound of all recordings.
2) Go for good sound only: Those who like good sound only, those who like to have all recordings, incl. bad recordings to sound good too.
1) Go for original sound only
- If you belong to the first category who likes the original sound, then our cables can basically meet your requirements. With a balance system, when you use our cables, I believe your system will sounds more transparent and sounds good.
- However, if your system sounds bad, the sound is unpleasant with our cables, personally, I believe your system is unbalanced. When you hear noisy/unpleasant sound, it is most likely that your audio source is not perfect. If you want to improve the sound of the system, you will need to find out the root cause or upgrade your equipment. If you want to keep status quo, for this case, our cable is not suitable for your system.
2) Go for good sound only
- If you belong to the second category who likes good sounds, your system should sound better with our cables. A good cable should be balanced and transparent with all details, full bass, sweet midrange and silky high. On a balanced system, you should hear all the good sounds.
- However, if you don’t hear the sound that you like (it is a personal preference, not necessarily with right or wrong sound), personally, I believe your sound system is unique. There is no right or wrong to choose the sound that you like. Since it is a unique sound, it is more economical to keep your original cable, otherwise, you may need to change the equipment. If you keep status quo, our cable is not suitable for your system.
[This is related to expectations of individual audiophile]
7. Can your cables increase the resolution, but still maintain dynamics and a good sense of music?
Personally, cables with the highest resolution often ignores the overall balance sound of a cable. Suggest to consider the overall balance of the cables in your system, and the overall performance, rather than just pay attention to the cable resolution. Cables/Wires are not devices/equipment, so they do not create sounds or generate sounds. A good cable only transmits signals in a perfect balance, without concealing or blocking signals. I believe your system equipment or speaker should be designed to increase the resolution, maintain dynamics with a good sense of music. And, this should not be the “duty” of the good cables. A good cable is designed to transmit all the signals transparently and naturally without generating different sound. A good should be natural, neutral, transparent and balance. It retains the original recorded sounds and transmits them fully with its own cable sound characteristics.
[This is not related to cables; A good cable still needs good equipment to help to perfectly restore the original sound quality/effects.]
Cable is not a device; Cable will not produce sounds or make noises. Cables transmit sound only. Bad cable will transmit fewer sound signals with less details or hide signals. Good quality cable will transmit all sound signals with all details, including bad sound signals or noises from the audio source.
Our cables design policy and sound characteristics are based criteria set by most audiophiles. It is understandable if the sound of your system is incompatible with the sound of our cables. There are too many different audiophiles’ setup in the market, we can’t fulfil all the expectations of All audiophiles, so we choose to meet most of it but not all of it. If you cannot hear the sound that you like and want to keep the status quo, believe that our cable is not suitable for your system.